Part of personal development is capitalizing on your natural abilities and learning to use them to your advantage. Becoming better at something will only happen with practice though, and unless you put that time into it, you may just remain mediocre at something you want to be brilliant in. The following 10 tips will help you build your natural strengths and abilities to a spectacular level.
1. Practice, practice, practice! Immerse yourself in repetitious activities that develop your talent constantly. Perfecting your art will only come from learning it from every angle and doing it often. Set yourself up to become a master of it.
2. Find your faults. We all have weaknesses and you will find some, despite your natural gifts. Make it a point to focus on whatever obstacles stand between you and perfecting your talent and obsess over it until it disappears.
3. Look for inspiration. Watch videos or study the history of your craft to see how others have taken it to the top. Look toward the future when you are the best at what you are doing; dreaming about accomplishments to come will keep you motivated during the daily grind you face now.
4. Adopt a guru. Finding a coach or someone who is already a master with the talent you seek to perfect can advance your abilities in leaps and bounds. Most people love to share knowledge and teach others so act eager to learn and grateful for their time; the lessons they impart to you will be invaluable to the process.
5. List goals daily. No matter how busy you are with work or around the house, set goals each day that will get you a little bit further than you were yesterday. Repeat the goals in a manner that will facilitate mastering each step completely; avoid getting ahead of yourself and possibly not developing a solid foundation for your achievements.
6. Provide rewards for accomplishments. Make sure you take the time to reward yourself and savor the milestones in your learning process. What you are accomplishing is nothing short of amazing; stop and give yourself a good pat on the back often.
7. Look for a source of support. Joining up with other people trying to master your art or talent will give you strength to keep going and probably teach you a few things along the way. Also, look for opportunities to help others, as teaching is an excellent way to prove you’ve mastered something and reinforces your knowledge about it.
8. Keep learning. Studying your craft will yield a knowledge base about it far beyond the simple repetitions of skillful practice. Go a step further and actually read about the history and development of your skill, becoming a master of it on all levels.
9. Challenge yourself often. Especially once practice has become routine, you need to provide yourself with constant challenges that keep it interesting and work you harder. Whenever you reach a milestone or goal, reward yourself properly then immediately set the bar higher.
10. Use visualization to facilitate achievement. When you see success in your mind by picturing what achievement looks like and feels like, you strongly encourage the rest of you to follow. Keep an image of you becoming a master in your specialty in your mind, and refer to it until your dreams have been realized!
Practice and hard work will transform even just a little bit of talent into an amazing asset and isn’t that what personal development is all about? Devote the time to your talents to increase your abilities and your self-confidence and see if it doesn’t lead you to places you’ve always wanted to be!